Friday, May 30, 2008

Opening Night

...
The opening night was FUN!



I had my name up, not in lights, but in the visual art world's equivalent... up in black.




It was an awesome night. A great crowd and, though it may seem kind of obvious when you think about it, I was surprised at the fact that I knew everyone... It was kind of like having a birthday party, unlike other people's parties where you know one or two people, when it is your party - you know everyone! Very fun.



Got a few red dots up on the wall, which is very encouraging!




I made a speech. I didn't plan it much, but I knew I wanted to dedicate the show to my grandmother who passed away around this time last year. She was definitely the matriarch of our family and always my best patron and supporter. I think I have been blessed by a super supportive family, and Granny especially was always so positive and affirming.



I had a few 'thanks you's
to make as well. Firstly to the wonderful, wonderful women who run fortyfive downstairs, the gallery. Their advice and support and generosity really got me through in far greater style than I would have managed on my own. And also to St Vincent's Hospital Melbourne. Last year I had the absolute luxury to spend a year on the tenth floor of the old nurses quarters looking out over an amazing view of Carlton Gardens with all of the northern suburbs of Melbourne stretched out below - especially beautiful at night. St Vincent's Hospital have an artist in residence program where you can apply for a free studio for a set amount of time and in return you give them an art work. The curator of the residency program was at my opening, demonstrating how much genuine care and interest they take in you.


A beautiful bunch of flowers from some friends


Philippa and Alix who work at fortyfive downstairs




Overall a really fantastic night. (Aside from the red wine spilled all over my dress right at the start by my grasping handed baby nephew, that'll learn me for putting a glass of wine in baby reaching distance! But then that is why you wear black to an opening!)


And... the benefit of an early opening is that it was finished by 7pm, so even though we went out for some food and drinks after, I was home and snug in bed before midnight!


No comments: