Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bangkok...

So, well... yes.

Bangkok and I will meet again, after about twelve years apart. Last time I was a teenager, well cushioned from the city by the large group I traveled with. The accommodation, the transport, the activities were all planned by someone else. All I had to do was follow the crowd. It was a wonderful trip actually, I went with a group of WWII veterans, many of whom had been prisoners of war under the Japanese. We visited Hellfire Pass, wandered massive cemeteries of white military crosses, heard first hand stories from the men who had walked there in utterly different circumstances fifty years before. I was quite a random addition to the group. I didn't know anyone else on the trip and at the time I didn't know of any relatives of mine who had been a POW or even fought in the Asian Pacific campaigns. Later I realised I actually had several relatives who had fought there - not the least of which was my grandfather! When I got home my grandmother told me stories I had never heard before about men I had barely heard of, but who were her brothers, cousins, friends. Husband. I guess she had never before thought I'd be interested.

So anyway, Bangkok and I will meet again in exactly one week. This time I am on my own. I am glad to be going back as an adult, where I can choose to stay in less western hotels, eat less western food, and travel in less controlled (and possibly less comfortable) modes of transport.

I am planning to spent two weeks working with the elephants, and the rest of the time will be researching residencies, art universities, galleries, other elephant refuges... and hopefully a little time for a beach or two, a market or two and some mountainous vistas. I may not have access to the internet while with the elephants, but will try and keep the blog updated as much as possible.

wish me luck!

No comments: