Friday, October 24, 2008

B-Grade

I'm not sure if you would have noticed but horror movies are not in my usual repetoir of subject or inspiration. So it is kind of strange that I am now in the middle of curating a show based on them...

The idea came from chatting to a guy I know. He had been raving about the Peter Jackson group of very b-grade horror movies that he'd made before he shot to super director stardom with Lord of the Rings. Now I had been thinking for a while that movie night at Brunswick Arts would be a great way to get people into the gallery, and so as he talked about it I had visions of b-grade horror movie nights at the gallery. They could run their bar, I'd make popcorn. It'd be great! Then it seemed quite natural to have a group show with the same theme to go with the movie nights. A convaluted and back-to-front way to come across an idea for a show, but there you go.




Curating a group show is a very strange experience. In putting together a solo show I am used to being in control of the whole process, knowing exactly how the works are coming along, how big, small, good, bad, what colour, shape and size each of the works is and how they will all fit together. With this thing I am left with artists telling me they are doing well, the works are coming along and it'll be great, but I have no idea how they will all fit together, I don't even know what some of the artists are making... some of them don't even know yet!!! I won't know til the day they all show up at the gallery with works ready to be installed!

But I can't imagine it could be too bad, I mean the show is based around the b-grade... bad is good... remember??!?!

No comments: